Picture credit: Alan Weiner
Want a delicious, quick easy breakfast that will help to fuel you and means you don’t have to get up hours earlier than you need to? Try Girls Run The World’s favourite go-to breakfast snack of choice as a delicious training boost!
One of the hardest things about training for endurance and holding down a career/family/relationship (delete or add as required!) is that, all those long miles on bike or feet need to be done early in the day, to get them out of the way and give you time to live your life. But, that then means getting up even earlier to eat a breakfast that you can digest to fuel your training.
Make a batch of superhero muffins from Wonder Woman Shalane Flanagan, warm one up and eat just 30 minutes before you start training and you’re sorted to start your training.
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/5 cups walnuts, raisins, or chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple (about 1 apple)
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 carrots), peeled
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted or coconut oil
- 1/2 cups of honey
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and walnuts, raisins, or chocolate chips (if using).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, apple, carrot, melted butter, and honey. Add to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each to the brim. Bake until the muffins are nicely browned on top and a knife inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow muffins to cool completely before storing.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. If you like them warm, reheat on low power in the microwave.
Article brought to you by the Official Training Partner for Brighton Marathon Weekend, Girls Run The World